- vCenter Server Appliance 6.7 Update 3d with vSphere Update Manager configured to scan a cluster of ESXi hosts. DNS is fully configured and functioning correctly for ESXi and vCSA.
- The Check Compliance action from the vSphere Client returns the error message: “There are errors during the scan operation. Check the events and log files for details.”
- In the /var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/vum-server/vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log file of the vCSA instance, there are “HostUpdateDepotManager” ERROR messages with “http://<vcsa url>:9048/vum/repository/hostupdate/vmw/vmw-ESXi-6.7.0-metadata.zip – Name or service not known” listed.
- In the vSphere Client, select Home, Update Manager, Settings, Administration Settings, Network Connectivity.
- Change the “Update Manager Patch Store host name or IP address” from the vCSA FQDN to the vCSA IP address from the drop-down menu.
- The Check Compliance action should now complete successfully.
- Try changing back to the vCSA FQDN to verify if Check Compliance still works.
I do not know why vUM behaves this way even though DNS is correctly configured, but the solution above is a workaround.