This will be my second VMworld and I want to pass on some tips that I learned from the “10 year” VMworld veterans that maximised my experience last year:
- Keep hydrated with H20, carry a water bottle.
- Maintain your energy levels by eating good, healthy food, regularly.
- Minimise your alcohol intake.
- Wear comfortable shoes that have been “broken in”. Ladies: high heels = bad idea.
- Dress in neat casual or professional clothing – just make sure it is comfortable.
- Travel light – if you do not need your laptop, leave it at the hotel.
- Plan ahead and organise your schedule so that you are getting 8 hours of sleep a night.
- It is physically impossible to attend every event, so attend what is important to you.
- Attend one or two sessions a day, the rest you can listen to after the event, since most sessions are recorded.
- If you are traveling with your partner, make sure they have something to do whilst you are busy – checkout the “Spousetivities” link below.
- Plan to visit “Solutions Exchange”, every company that integrates with VMware products will be represented.
- Be tactical on how much “swag” you take home, go for quality, not quantity; airlines do have weight limits, try to avoid paying excess baggage.
- Carry business cards, these are used for prize draws in Solutions Exchange.
- Plan to rest, relax and “network” in the “Hang Space”. vBrownbag will have “TechTalks” in that area.
- The “Keynote” can be physically uncomfortable, being sandwiched between people on cheap seating; you can watch it from the “Hang Space”.
- For San Francisco – wear layers.
- You are going to be overwhelmed with information, try to focus on interacting with people, you can consume new information after the event.
- “Hands On Labs” are now publicly available all year – do one or two at VMworld and leave the rest for after the event.
- 50% of VMware exams @ VMworld – Do you want to pressure yourself with exams when you are supposed to be having fun?
- Pace yourself, if you burn yourself out early in the week, then you risk falling ill and missing out on days three, four and five.
- If you are a VMware TAM customer or Partner, plan to arrive one day before so that you can attend “TAM Day” or “Partner Day”.
The clock is ticking, register for VMworld US 2014, plan your travel and reserve your sessions:
One thought on “VMworld 2014 – Pace yourself!”
Comments are closed.