- vCommunity Hang Space – vBrownbag TechTalks, VMware Community and Blogger’s area, VMware Foundation “Give Back” event
- Hands On Labs – 10,000 labs were taken this year. They just get better and better.
- Sessions – lot of cool content was presented this year.
- Thursday’s General Session was very interesting and informative.
- Announcements about EVO:RAIL and Open Stack support within vSphere.
- Solutions Exchange – loads of new technology out there.
- TAM Day was fantastic.
Some things that could have been better thought out:
- General Sessions for Monday and Tuesday were heavily scripted with marketing jargon and lack of substance. VMware knows that their audience is highly educated and technical, so why insult them with marketing fluff?
- The VMworld Party was a shadow of last year’s – better to cancel it than put everyone through that sham again.
- Solutions Exchange – Note to Vendors – Please provide technical experts at your booths so that we can talk to someone who actually knows your product. Nutanix did a great job of this. We do not care what they look like, just how knowledgeable they are.
- The “vRealize” name change was unfortunate and not well received.
Overall VMworld 2014 US was a great success, because it allowed 22,000 people who are passionate about technology to converge in a single place and participate in the vCommunity: talking, exchanging ideas, meeting for the first time – it was great!
The clock is ticking, register for VMworld EU 2014, plan your travel and reserve your sessions: