I get a lot of requests to mentor VCDX candidates and I am happy to assist, if you demonstrate a genuine drive and enthusiasm to learn and do the work. I have streamlined my mentoring process to allow the maximum number of VCDX candidates for each defence cycle.
List of articles in my VCDX Deep-Dive series (more than 70 posts)
Please make sure you have met the following prerequisites before contacting me, this will save us from wasting our time:
- Have you decided upon the VCDX track you want to follow?
- Have you passed your VCP?
- Have you passed your VCAPs/VCIX?
- Do you have a suitable project in mind?
- Are you prepared to create your own content from scratch (avoiding the use of vendor templates)?
- Have you carved out time in your schedule every day to make this happen within a few months?
- Have you read my VCDX Deep-Dive series and understand what is required from you to complete this journey (pre and post submission)?
This is the scope of our Mentor/Mentee relationship:
- The effort that is expended is completely yours, you will do all of the work.
- I will make sure you are not heading in the wrong direction.
- I will provide feedback regarding problem areas that you need to spend time fixing. I will not be giving you a detailed breakdown of these areas, that is for you to work out.
- The SLA is best effort. If I have time, I will do my best to provide feedback within a few days of your email.
- Before you submit, your VCDX submission should go through a detailed review from people that you know and trust.
- My review will be perfunctory to ensure you have an understanding of the mechanics of design, I do not have time for detailed reviews.
- The majority of your pressure testing and mock panels will be with your VCDX study group. Join one ASAP.
- After you submit and you have been accepted to defend, I am happy to participate in a small number of pressure testing and mock panel sessions via WebEx, if I have the time.
Now that we have defined our working relationship, I would be very happy to participate in the following review workflow:
- Send me your Architecture Design – Conceptual Model as a PDF export. I will review it and provide comments by email.
- Send me your Architecture Design – Logical Design as a PDF export. I will review it and provide comments by email.
- Send me your Architecture Design – Physical Design as a PDF export. I will review it and provide comments by email.
- Send me your Architecture Design – Risk Analysis and Appendices as a PDF export. I will review it and provide comments by email.
- You should now contact your trusted reviewers and see if they have the time to review your architecture design. Make sure you give everyone time to complete this before the submission date. This includes incorporating reviewer feedback into your design.
- Send me your Supporting documentation as a PDF export. I will review it and provide comments by email.
- Assuming you have taken action on all of my feedback, you should now complete the VCDX Application Form and submit your design to the VCDX Program.
- Send me your Presentation as a PDF export. I will review it and provide comments by email.
- After you have practiced pressure testing and mock defences with your study group and you feel confident and ready for the live panel defence, reach out to me a few weeks before you defend and we can have a few one hour sessions via WebEx (if I have time).